Monday, April 19, 2010

More Love to Thee ~ Elizabeth P. Prentiss

At the conclusion of each Sunday school lesson I like to read the "story" behind the writing of hymns. This was the suggested hymn for the week so I looked into it...

But before the poem, a bit of background:
During the 1850's The Prentiss' lost a child and then a short time later their youngest child also died. During this time of mourning Elizabeth wrote in her diary, "Empty hands, a worn-out, exhausted body, and unutterable longings to flee from a world that has so many sharp experiences." From her broken heart came this poem:
I thought that prattling boys and girls
Would fill this empty room;
That my rich heart would gather flowers
From childhood's opening bloom:
One child and two green graves are mine,
This is God's gift to me;
A bleeding, fainting, broken heart,
This is my gift to Thee.

Not long after writing this poem she completed another poem (in one evening, all four stanzas) to what would later become a hymn.

More love to Thee, O Christ, More love to Thee! Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee;
This is my earnest plea: More love, O Christ, to Thee, More love to Thee, More love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, Sought peace and rest; Now Thee alone I seek - Give what is best;
This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ, to Thee, More love to Thee, More love to Thee!

Let sorrow do its work, Send grief and pain; Sweet are Thy messengers, Sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me, More love, O Christ, to Thee, More love to Thee, More love to Thee!

Then shall my latest breath Whisper Thy praise; This be the parting cry My heart shall raise;
This still its prayer shall be: More love, O Christ, to Thee, More love to Thee, More love to Thee!

No comments: