Sunday, December 06, 2009

Poop Happens

So, I'm all snuggly in bed about 11:30 last night, just about to fall asleep and I hear bloppp....bloppp...etc. It took me a minute to register the sound and I came out of the bed screaming NOOOOO in my head! Went right to the source of the sound...my toilet. Sure enough big air bubbles coming pretty steady. I grabbed my robe and ran down the hall to Samuels room and asked if he or Phillip (his friend) if they had recently flushed the toilet. I checked and it was doing the same thing. NOOOO, it's too late! I have to get up early. NOOOOO!
Oh, well, might as well get it over with....I asked the two strapping young men to get shovels and I would show them exactly where to dig. Warm clothes were put on and out we go, 11:30 at night. The septic tank sits in the front of the "island" (circle drive). I explained to the guys what I was looking for and they put the shovels into the ground. Wow, they exclaimed this thing isn't that deep. No, no, it's not thank goodness. I had crow bar in hand and looked around to see if my sh..oh I mean poop stick was where I put it a couple of years ago and yes, there it was tucked under an azalea. Within minutes, they had found the trap and cleared the area of all dirt. Of course, I repaid them with stories of past experiences doing this, that were much more "colorful". Phillip being a kid from the city was getting quite an education on "sewer in the country" (septic tanks) I told them to step back and I popped the trap off. Sure enough, even by the light of the yard light I could see that toilet paper & such were trapped. This is where the "stick" comes in handy!
The exciting part of this little job happens when the sh stick loosens things up and all the contents of the lines in the house and the 50 or so feet come rushing down to freedom. From experience, I've learned that you get that trap on fast. And I mean fast! I stood there until everything quieted down, told the guys they were done for the night and took a quick peek to see if we were....good to go.
All that gets dirty on me is one hand and then it's mostly dirt. Unlike the experience where I didn't know what the "rumble" sound meant and didn't get the trap on until old faithful hit me. Though that time Andrew said he had never seen me move so fast. *sigh* :) Who lives like this? I need to move in town so I can have city sewer. The neighbors must wonder about me! *makes note that I might need to call the honey wagon*.....Just saved myself 150.00 and got another great story! :)

No comments: