Today I met some friends and we went to the Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa to see the Charles M Russell exhibit. Let me just say that it was everything I hoped for and more. The added treat greeted us as we drove onto the grounds. The Azaleas were in full bloom and they were breathtaking!
The four of us entered the museum just behind a rather large group of people who had planned ahead and had a docent (actually 3) ready to give them the tour. They were a noisy bunch of people – a church group – and we all know how rowdy those church people can be.
While we waited for this group to move on to the main attraction we checked out the main entrance gallery. It was featuring 2 artists. John Coleman and his bronze work were both there. What a delightful experience the artist and his art! The other work was by CL Ballatyne. She does some unbelievable work! Diane and I were trying to figure out how I could come up with 14,000.00 to purchase this oil painting of a really good looking cowboy. He would really look good hanging in my house!
If you get the chance before May 2nd you must go see this exhibit. One of the things I like about Russell is that he is pretty much a narrative artist. If you look long enough you will see the story. Sometimes you don’t have to look long. I think the man had a great sense of humor as well as being a gifted artist. It was fun to see how his work progressed over the years. They also had his first bronze sculpture on display. It was beautiful! I’m thinking, it’s your first one for crying out loud, how about a big nose or one horse leg longer than the other…but oh no! Just beauty!
I love art and the people who create it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment