I chose this story to be the first one that I post because it is one of my "colorful" stories. It is a true story and one my family's favorites...especially my moma. Go ahead, shake your head, because you will see that I'm a mess!
Before I begin, my sisters and I have always called our mother, momma. Except we spell it moma. So don't think I can't spell it and don't say it with a long O. :-)
Making My Moma Laugh...
Every mother thinks their children are angels and mine was no exception. I remember clearly the day she found out that I was, well....not. She might have suspected such but never let me know.
It was a very hot last day of school and my sister Kathryn and I arrived home with our car loaded with the contents of our school lockers. We started hauling it all in passing first my mom's car, on into the house, down the hall, past her bedroom and on to our bedrooms. About the second or third trip out to the car, as I was passing Kathryn (which happened to be in front of my mom's bedroom) I said, "After I get this next load I need to take a quick shit." And on I went outside. Kathryn met me just outside the front door with her hand on Moma's car and said, "ELIZABETH! I can't believe you said that!" To which I replied, "What?" She then thumped our mom's car and said, 'Uh, I guess you forgot that Moma is home, in bed, down on her back!"
That's when it all became crystal clear! How many times had I passed her car, her bedroom? I just had one thing on my mind and that was the "quick ....!" Anyway, the last thing I wanted to do was go back in the house, but I really needed to. So, I took a deep breath and marched inside hoping maybe she was asleep or something and headed for the bathroom. As I turned the corner heading for the home stretch I heard her, but her voice sounded different "Elizabeth Ann, come in here right now!"
Busted!
My mom started telling me how shocked she was to hear me use such language and I don't remember the rest because I was looking at her, trying not to laugh, realizing that she was fighting back the chuckles herself!! We ended up laughing together, talking about speech becoming of a young lady and that she never wanted to hear me use such language again.
I learned a few things about my moma that day. First, after laying there in shock from what she had heard she started laughing and had to try to get a hold of herself before calling me in. Not to mention laughing hurt her back. Second, if I want to make her laugh, really laugh...just throw in a "choice" word at appropriate times and catch her off guard...well, it works every time.
Over the years I have perfected the "gift" with my mom even though she never wanted to hear me use such language again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This is one of my favorite stories. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Good stuff Elizabeth, I actually remember that story from Oklahoma, it was funny then and and now! Thanks!
Post a Comment