Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Galen, Elizabeth and the Copperhead

This is one of Lauri Anne's favorite stories. It's kind of graphic but true.

Years ago we were expecting company and I had been in a flurry of preparation.
Looking back I don't remember who we were expecting to visit but it was probably one of Galen's siblings and family.

It was late in the evening on the eve of their arrival and I was, well okay, nagging Galen to do something out in the garage. We were already dressed for bed and Galen, in his boxers, was parked in his recliner watching TV. Galen reluctantly got up and headed for the garage. Just a few minutes passed and guilt overcame me and I, in my nightgown, headed out to give him company during the "chore."

I opened the door into the garage and saw Galen on the stairs, back and hands against the wall, with each foot on a different step.

He said, "Get back in...there's a snake!"

I stepped back in the house and closed the door. Then I thought I would peek out to see what was going on. I saw Galen in front of the freezer with an old sponge mop. He was standing with his legs spread and was holding the mop firmly by the handle with the snake pinned with the sponge.

He said, "It's trying to get under the freezer...get the square point shovel."

I scurry down the steps, pass Galen, slide around the riding mower, squeeze around the van and retrieve the shovel. As I'm returning back around the van and to the mower the door from the house opens and David steps out, takes one look at us and steps back into the house closing the door behind him. He didn't know what we were doing and I don't think he wanted to know. Anyway, by this time we had one angry snake on our hands and Galen had me take over with the mop. I spread my legs far apart just like he had done, held down with all my strength and closed my eyes. After the chopping stopped and he pried my hands off the mop he was able to carefully get the copperhead out from under the freezer.

I'm sure the whole time I was swearing and I'm equally sure that Galen never said a word. The old snake measured about 3 feet long and we were glad neither of us had been bitten.

David returned as Galen was throwing the carcass out into the woods and then we started laughing at the sight David must have witnessed in those few short seconds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story! I DO remember it to be a little more"colorful" and a few more detils ... but I love it ... it's one of those stories that you you love to remember!

Kim said...

One of those cases of "It really isn't what it looks like..." LOL