Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

A few weeks ago I called my mom and told her that I would be to visit over Memorial Day weekend and that I would hlep her with the flowers for the cemetary. We talked more than once in the days leading up to my visit. We were making our list to be sure we had all the flowers needed.

On my way to Henryetta I had to swing over to the east side of Tulsa to put flowers on my great aunt Juanita's grave. I do this for my favorite uncle Troy and count it an honor to do it for him.


I arrived at Moma & Daddy's house on Thursday afternoon and I unloaded the flowers into the house. We made our plans for Friday and I left to spend the night at Kathryn's. I got up bright and early and walked over to my parents house. We clipped, stuffed and arranged flowers then loaded them in the car.

I had mentioned to my mom that I hadn't been able to locate favorite uncle Troy's father's grave online. So, she called city hall and was able to get the location. We had no idea where it was but I was determined to find it.

Moma and I decided to swing down Main Street to get a Sonic pop and boy were we gald we did! It was a hot day. As we were zipping back down Main Street towards the cemetery I had her swing in to park in front of the flower shop. I went in, hoping to find a wreath for my parent's front door (and I did) but while in there noticed a table with bunches of flowers tied with a ribbon for just a few dollars. I picked one up and mentioned that I didn't want to spend a lot of money since I wasn't even sure we would find the grave. The nice lady at Reba's Flowers asked me if I had the location and I told her that we got it from city hall. She said, "Honey, get the location for me ~ I have a map!" I ran out to the car, got the location and she located and gave me directions for finding the grave. With her help I practically walked right to it.





It took us over 2 hours to put all the flowers out. The grounds keepers had done a nice job but we still needed to sweep off the headstones before putting the flowers in the vases or on the ground. This year I took pictures. Not so much for the flowers but to have a visual memory of our time.



Walter & Margaret Pippin
My mothers Paternal Grandparents


Virgil & Georgia Higgins

My mother's Maternal Grandparents

We talked about each person and Moma told stories about each person I hadn't known. We had a precious time.


James Walter & Fern Pippin
My mothers parents


Margaret Sweeney
My fathers mother




My Paternal Grandmother & Maternal Grandparents


For me the most special one was the wreath we put on my Uncle Kenneth's grave. Since it was Memorial Day, a Military National Holiday and that they had recently placed his military marker....well, it was just emotional.




Also, putting flowers on Galen's grave is always special to me. The picture here is actually of a year past since the two pictures I had taken on this day strangely had my reflection, taking the picture, on the face of the headstone.




One can't help but notice the veteran part of the cemetery. This cemetery doesn't have any Civil War graves that I know of but plenty of WWI to the present. The local veterans spent their weekend placing American flags at the entrances to the cemetery as well as on each veteran grave. They also have a Memorial Day Service on Monday that I'm sure takes a lot of time and preparation. And just think, this takes place all across the country. I kept telling Moma that Memorial Day is a Military National Holiday but also a good time to honor our loved ones.


We drove out to the cemetery each day...just to drive around and look at the increasing flowers. It is strangely beautiful to me to see the people, older people in particular, putting flowers on the graves of their loved ones. I like going to the cemeteries where loved ones are buried. It is good to reflect and reconnect with the memories.


1 comment:

Rabbi Tbone said...

Lovely reflections, Okie girl. Your loving fan, Tbone/Tommy