Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Nellie's Tiger Lilies

It's June and that means the tiger lilies are blooming.

Early this morning I was out working in my flowerbeds and started thinking about the lilies. I got these from Nellie years ago, not long after we moved into this house. I had cleared the woods back and prepared this long bed not knowing what I would put in it. I was talking to Nellie about my gardening and she insisted that I come over and thin out her lilies. I went over to her house and we started digging. It took some work to get them all planted but I did it.
It was 2 years before they bloomed. I couldn't wait to tell Nellie. She told me to just be sure they get lots of sun and they will keep blooming.

Well, here I am many, many years later and they are still blooming even though I haven't been able to keep up with clearing the woods back. You can see them stretching for the sun.

So, every June I enjoy my Nellie Lilies...they are just an old fashioned flower that reminds me of a dear, special lady.

As you can see they need dividing and some sun ~ so if you loved Nellie like I did then please come and let's dig some up and then each June you too can enjoy the lilies and remember Nellie.