Early Saturday morning my friend Liana and I drove over to Del City, OK to attend the initial training session to become SBC Disaster Relief Volunteers.
She picked me up at 6:00 a.m. and when we reached the McDonald's on the turnpike between Tulsa and OKC we were ready for a rest stop and a biscuit.
As I got out of her car I turned and looked into the restaurant through squeaky clean windows. I saw a woman standing by some tables with what looked like a wad of tissue in her hand and she was proceeding to clean her nose. Oh, not with the "tissues" but with her index finger. The "tissues" were where she was meticulously putting the ....harvest. I just stood there staring at her in disbelief. It was about this time that Liana emerged from the car and I realized that the "tissues" were in fact some type of rag.
I gasped to Liana, "Don't tell me..."
Liana questioned, "Don't tell you what?"
To which I responded, "Oh, No...Please don't tell me..."
And at this point the picture came clear. The woman was an employee and she proceeded to use her rag to wipe down the tables!
We went ahead and went in to find THE CLEANEST MCDONALD'S I HAVE EVER BEEN IN! It was so shinny clean that one might even consider wearing sunglasses to block the sparkle.
We hurried into the Ladies room and there was a sign, "We take pride in our bathrooms cleanliness. If you see a problem please flip this switch." I suppose flipping that switch would send in the swat team to wipe down any drip. We were washing our hands when in comes the "swat team." Yes, same lady but with a side kick. She still had that rag in her hand and proceeded to wipe all the stall door handles.
Now, you might think that this would have sent us on our way. But, we are talking about two friends who have been up since 4 a.m. We are hungry and in need of some caffeine.
I was standing in line to order and just taking in the sparkle when my gaze fell upon "Our lady of cleanness" now behind the food counter. I quickly looked for the rag and noticed she had laid it down on a ledge outside the food area. She was getting herself a cup of coffee. She then strolled on over to her ledge and rag to sip her coffee.
I place my order to go...I was not sitting down at one of those shiny tables! I took my cup and headed for the drink station. Again, sparkly clean!
The ice was a bit watery and my mind flashed back to my frog experience...I SO wanted to get out of there that I just blocked Kermit from my mind.
I made some remark about the booger rag and then noticed our lady right there swiping up any drips or smudges we might leave.
We left and went on our way...laughing all the way...kinda...
So, never assume that the shine and sparkle means clean!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Eeeww!! Thanks for the laugh, aunt Elizabeth! I'll have to try not to be paranoid now...
Oh my goodness! This had me gagging nag giggling at the same time! Lol
Post a Comment